Friday, March 13, 2009

Eggplant Tikka

NOTE! I DID NOT like this dish. I made it to try something new and was completely disgusted. I want to make it clear that I hate eggplant except when it is breaded, fried and smothered in cheese. I'm posting this in the hopes that some eggplant lover out there will love it and accept it - for the rest of you, leave this one alone.

Photobucket

I'm alone in the tiny ass kicthen today because no one is really thrilled with eggplant.

Photobucket

Start by cutting off the ends of the eggplant and halving it.

Photobucket

Then cut it into chunks.

Photobucket

Place them in a bowl...

Photobucket

And squeeze a lemon over them along with drizzling some olive oil on them

Photobucket

Then your going to place them in a large skillet to brown them up just slightly, not fully cook them.

Photobucket

While the eggplant is browning take a cup of non fat plain yogurt and place it into a mixing bowl. Make sure it's a large one since you'll be putting the eggplant in here later.

Photobucket

To that add some garlic to taste (I love garlic)and about an inch worth of peeled finely chopped ginger.

Then for some spices - today you'll be adding to this...

Photobucket

A table spoon of ground coriander...

Photobucket

A teaspoon of Cumin

Photobucket

A teaspoon of Garam Masala.

Photobucket

And finally a teaspoon of Paprika.

Photobucket

After that add the juice of one lime and mix together the marinade.

Photobucket

At this point you add in your browned eggplant.

Photobucket

And mix it all together to sit and marinade for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight. I did it for 3-4 hours.

Photobucket

When I was ready to cook it (and this is where the recipe may have gone wrong) I decided to broil it all together instead of placing the pieces of eggplant on kabob sticks....

Photobucket

Oh and the second mistake was I forgot I put it in the broiler... and it got a little... charred. I tried a piece that wasn't burnt but I hated the taste of it - next time I'll stick to fried and smothered in cheese. If anyone tries this one and likes it - let me know!

No comments: