Thursday, February 26, 2009

Swedish Style Salmon with Baked Potato

My husband was nice enough to get me a treat this week by bringing home some fresh salmon he bought at work.

Photobucket

They are indeed beautiful cuts of fish.

Photobucket

It even was perking Bella's interest.

Photobucket

I started the dinner by placing my two potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.

When they were about 10 minutes from being done, it’s when I started my fish. I placed it, skin side up. I let the fish cook, about 3 minutes, maybe a bit more since these were rather thick pieces of fish.

Photobucket

When the fish starts to turn color about midway up the fish, I flip it onto it’s other side, getting the skin nice and brown.

Photobucket

When you think the fish has become fully cooked, give it a small cut and make sure the color of the fish is consistent the whole way through. If it is, it’s ready to plate.

Photobucket

Now you may be asking what makes this “Swedish Style” Salmon – and the trick is Lingonberries. Lingonberries are something you get up in the Scandinavian countries. It’s tricky to find, but you can get it in places like Wegmans, Whole Foods, or Ikea. My preserves are from Ikea (You DON’T want jelly).

Photobucket

The preserves have whole berries in it and you just put a generous amount on top. Don’t turn your nose at mixing fruit with fish, because it’s a wonderful combination. Fruit makes the sweet taste of salmon come out in a cleaner way, and it just tastes wonderful. So give it a shot before you condemn it.

I serve it up with a lovely baked potato – a wonderful, healthy and filling meal.

Yum!

No comments: